I just wrapped up my second quarter of lessons at Dance Collective. It's been going really well; Geoff's a really good teacher and always manages to teach new things while getting us to have fun. However, I'm starting to wonder if I need to do something else if I want to take my dancing to the next level (yup, you read that right - the next level). I mean, there's only so many more classes I'm willing to take of front step, back step, etc. at $17 a pop. That's expensive!
I feel like if I want to get better and really explore how far I can take this, I'm going to have to start practicing on my own and go to my teacher's open dance sessions. I feel like this is the case for anything: you can take lessons for as long as you want but eventually, you level off, the classes/teacher can only take you so far. It's kind of sad too because there's all this growth when you learn something new (which makes sense since you're starting from nothing) but then you hit a wall, and even with a lot of effort, you stagnate. At that point, if you want to get better you're going to have to "flip a switch", give more effort, try new approaches, etc. You really have to own the thing that you're learning or trying to get better at which unfortunately requires practice. Let's be honest here - practice sucks. Even professional athletes who get paid millions of dollars to play a sport they love, hate practice sometimes. Practice might mean hours and hours of getting something wrong over and over, or only seeing incremental changes. However, when you finally get it right, it's totally worth it. It has to be ... otherwise I wouldn't be practicing my top rock every time I get on an elevator by myself.
Anyway, Christmas is coming up so I'll get to see a bunch of family. I really need to show Goong Goong my bboy moves, I'm sure he'd be amused.
Keep dancing (metaphorically and literally).
No comments:
Post a Comment