Jon Chu's story (producer of wonderful films including, Step Up 2: The Streets, Step Up 3D, and Justin Bieber's "Never Say Never") was on youtube's fiveyear anniversary channel and I just happened to stumble upon it.
I started digging a little bit more into these online dance battles of the ACDC vs. MandM crews and that's when I found the video of Chris Brown and Adam Sevani dancing. I was BLOWN AWAY and incredibly jealous because Chris Brown made it look so easy. I was pretty depressed too because I thought, I'm never going to be able to dance like that.
Around the same time, early in the summer, I talked with my big sis, E, and she was complaining over the fact that her body was not what it used to be because of the baby bump.
"UGHH, I can't do anything now, like I couldn't go break dancing if I wanted to."
I was chuckling to myself when she was telling me this. It was the most random thing in the world - break dancing. Later that night I was thinking to myself, "Hey, I'm not pregnant and I'm still young - I should try break dancing." A little googling and I found the place, when the next round of classes started up, and I was off to DC Dance Collective to attend my first bboy class.
I remember walking in and smelling all the sweat from people dancing but I was really excited. Bboy Fleg was substituting for Geoff and we introduced ourselves. The first day of class, no one else showed up so I got a private lesson! We chatted a little bit and he was like, why do you wanna do this and I basically said, I've been thinking about for awhile and one of my friends basically told me to go for it. Fleg was pretty happy and said, "I'm glad you're here because a lot of people talk about doing something, and then that's just it, just talk."
Anyway, after the chit chat, we started dancing. I had the biggest smile on my face the entire time. I distinctly remember him showing me the front step, a really easy go down move and then the six step. After that we cyphered a little. I really sucked but he still gave me props. He then told me if I went to a jam session and just went for it, even though it would be obvious I'm starting out, other bboys would (I guess more like should) still appreciate the fact that I'm trying to master the craft.
No comments:
Post a Comment