Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cyphering

Yesterday I went to practice again in Columbia Heights.  I didn't really want to go because I had a pounding headache from work but I haven't done my repetitions for awhile so I made myself go.

It was a small crowd.   Gunjack, Abe, Kevin, and the bboy from Florida all came out.  I've never cyphered before in front of other people without having someone shown me a routine before to run through so I was pretty nervous but I was determined to dance.

They were already cyphering a little bit, mostly just practicing little moves so it was kind of sloppy but they were still sitting around watching each other go, one at a time.  I felt my heart pounding like crazy when I sat around the cypher but once I realized that A) everyone was there to practice, B) no one was going to judge me, and C) I've done this a bazillion times in my living room when no one was watching, I calmed down and went in.

It was really satisfying.  I was still nervous but I went from move to move.  Everything feels a lot crisper than they were before.  I also know that I've gotten a lot better because before when I used to cypher using Geoff's routines, I'd usually freeze up part of the way through and literally sit on the floor until Geoff would say, "Come on Joe, I know you have more moves than this."  This time, even when I messed up I was able to go right into another move without missing a beat (literally).

I'm so ready to jam on Friday at the Heart BREAK Ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment