The past year has been insane to say the least ... and the month of August will be a nightmare (gather micrscopy images for kinetics paper, put together poster presentation for conference, throw bachelor's party 3000 miles away, attend a wedding for friends who probably hate me now for being so flaky). A lot of my life gets pushed to the fringes for the sake of my career, for better or worse. I value it to the extent that I value giving myself time and space to learn but man, without LIFE outside of work, I am a really boring person. To wit, I need more time to break it down.
My friend C told me, you're a really boring person if all you do is work. As much as I had to admit it, there hasn't been a more true statement about my life recently. A lot of my life has followed the routine of: go to work, come home, eat something, watch YouTube, do more work ... it's the saddest is thing ever. (Ok granted I have the utmost respect for people who work hard, especially manual labor, and they come home tired and they can't do much else, it's not exactly their fault, but I digress.)
Hopefully soon (realistically come September) I hope to invigorate my life with breaking again. I can't quite put my finger on it, but dancing might actually be the funnest activity for me. More than hanging out with friends, more than walking, more than writing in my journal. I think it's also the activity that takes me furthest away from the desk and my work and helps me to forget my obligations, worries. I also feel like it adds another dimension to my life in that it's so out of the ordinary. Really, how many people dance regularly?
I honestly haven't had time to dance since school ended and I recently felt some of the interest waning and the activity becoming really dry. A major part of it comes from the fact that I had no new moves and just practicing the same routines again and again. Well lo and behold, some new freezes and a crappy 3-step later, we're back at it! I also incorporated a new element to my dance routine ... 30 minutes of continual dance without thinking of how to do a new move or if I look messy. Just 30 minutes of music and just moving in a way that my body leads itself to.
Moves to learn:
- handstands / hand hops
- transitions to baby freeze
- one footed six step
- tracks / transition from back to stabs
- turtle hops
No comments:
Post a Comment