I was talking with one of my co-workers a few years ago about books he really liked and he mentioned Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Gladwell postulates that people become truly "elite" at something whether it be a musical instrument, dancing, sports, academics, reading, language, etc. when you register 10,000 hours of practice and repetition.
It never really hit me what 10,000 hours really means in terms of everyday living until one of my dance classes with Toyz a few months ago. Near his 23rd birthday (March some time) he said he's been dancing for about 10 years. He also said he practices between three to four hours EVERY (DAMN) DAY. I put my excel powers to work (the only real skill I've picked up from work) and he cracked the "elite" mark at around EIGHT years. Right now he's at the 12,775 hour mark.
I was floored to say the least. I didn't think it would take EIGHT YEARS to become special. I can't even imagine practicing two hours a day, three to four times a week let alone EVERY DAY. If I did practice two hours a day, four times a week, it would take me 25 years to become an elite bboy. I think the only thing I'd be breaking at 49 years old would be my back.
Anyway, the main things I take away from this is that to be a good at something, you've got to be consistent and put in time/effort. I've been away from bboying for awhile because I was running around traveling, seeing friends/family, and prior to my trip, I was really, really busy (and stressed) organizing a volunteering event for my co-workers/company. I wouldn't have traded those experiences for anything but man, I suck now (more than I did before). I tried getting doing a few moves and I am so weak and uncoordinated. I can't do any freezes and I forgot a lot of my footwork sets. Also, my sense of rhythm is all off!
On my travels, I did do a lot of daydreaming on planes, buses, trains so I do have some more sets in mind. The only problem is that I can't do a lot of the moves in my sets - some day.
On another note, I learned some cool moves while in Korea from my friend B's hip hop class but that'll have to wait for another entry.
Peace!
No comments:
Post a Comment